Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with their customers, is driven to make healthcare better. They offer innovative products and services in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes. Stryker has about 38,000 employees worldwide and is #8 on Fortune’s World’s Best Workplaces in 2019. Stryker Canada headquarters is located in a new facility in Waterdown, Ontario.
The corporate team building event touched on the individual elements of what helps a team succeed, both in the boat and at the workplace.
TOGETHER: Teams are more than just a collection of people; together poeple produce synergy and create an outcome that is greater than the simple sum of its individual members.
- As in the workplace, the paddlers learned that various complementary strengths work together and move the dragon boat with greater ease.
- Effective communication and collaboration in the boat helped Stryker successfully complete a 200m paddle.
EVERYONE: An effective team environment encourages people to realize and appreciate the strengths and unique contribution of everyone on their team.
- The paddlers experienced the strengths and critical roles of each section within the dragon boat (Pacers first three seats, Engine Room next four seats and Rockets last three seats), a skill that will undoubtedly be beneficial in group projects too!
- Although assigned individual seats in the boat, paddlers were exposed to the role of each section, and that everyone has something to contribute to the team’s success.
ACHIEVES: Competition leads people to do their personal best, however excessive workplace competition can be counter-productive, ultimately affecting team objectives and company culture.
- Stryker employees had the opportunity to meet some of Knot A Breast’s Breast Cancer Survivor paddlers and learn how they overcame the challenges of breast cancer and their determination in leading a healthy life after cancer. They learned about the support offered to all members and their families.
- The paddlers learned the value of encouragement on the dragon boat and the importance of trusting your crew.
MORE: Teams are effective in achieving challenging goals when its members share knowledge and communicate well. They become even more effective when leadership and overall performance accountability is shared among its members.
- Observing the benefit of effective coaching and concise communication from Coach Kathy, there was noticeable progress in moving the dragon boat and improved individual performance from all paddlers.
- Stryker learned to appreciate how the careful development of skills can improve overall confidence and better performance to achieve more.
- They also experienced how positive activities and social bonding outside the workplace can unite employees and improve company dynamics.
Following the success of this Team Building Event, Knot A Breast plans to continue providing similar corporate team building opportunities in 2020! We look forward to building on our successes and sharing the enjoyment of the team sport of dragon boating.
For more information on a Team Building Event with Knot A Breast Dragon Boat Team please contact us.